If there’s one thing college taught me about fashion, it was the importance of having a personal uniform of go-to outfits you can throw on in the morning with zero effort and without resorting to wearing sweatpants.
While I still loved pulling together the perfect outfit to wear to class or out with friends, I learned that having a go-to outfit is essential for those mornings where you really just want to hit that snooze button one more time. Throughout my time on campus, I built a repertoire of pieces I could mix and match to create a stylish outfit in less time than it takes me to brush my teeth.
Even though I’ve been out of school for over a year now, some of these combinations have continued to be staples for the office and the concept of having a style uniform has helped me transition into a new work wardrobe with ease.
Read on for some of my go-to on-campus (and now weekend) looks.
Field Jacket + Button Down + Ponte Pants
Ponte pants are the perfect base to any comfortable yet stylish look. Pair them with a utilitarian jacket, a chambray shirt, and a patterned scarf for a layered look that will get you through the day of shifting temperatures. Add a warm coat if it’s extra chilly out, then shed layers in a warm classroom.
Cardigan + Ponte Pants + Boots
I don’t think I could live without my cozy cardigans. They are my favorite pieces to wrap up in and can be warm enough to wear without a coat over top. The geometric print and pop of teal make add some fun and trendy touches to this ultra-comfy look.
Oversized Sweater + Scarf
A last-minute outfit doesn’t get any easier than comfy leggings, an oversized sweater, and a cute scarf. Switching up the sweater and scarf make for endless options with the same basic formula.
Here’s a breakdown of my college uniform essentials:
- Ponte skinnies. Because they’re made with a ponte knit fabric, these feel just like a pair of comfy leggings, but function and look like a pair of pants. The best part? The super-thick material prevents the wardrobe malfunctions that are common with leggings that are too thin and too sheer.
- Chambray shirt. I wear mine all the time with different scarves layered on top. It’s the perfect unassuming layer – no one will notice if you wear it constantly!
- Oversized sweater. This is so easy to toss on with a pair of ponte paints or jeggings, and there are so many different styles out there that you’re bound to find the perfect one (or three!) for you. I like to buy sweaters a couple of sizes too big to make sure they’re perfectly slouchy.
- Cozy cardigan. These cardigans can basically double as blankets and are the coziest thing you can wear during a long day on campus.
- Infinity scarf. Nothing adds instant style and comfort like looping an infinity scarf around your neck. Just vary the color, pattern, or texture of your scarf and the same old outfit will feel new again.
- Loose-fitting tee or tank. This is perfect for layering under one of those chunky cardigans without losing out on any of the coziness. You can also wear it under an unbuttoned chambray shirt for a different look.
- Accessories. Make your go-to outfit a little more special by adding your favorite pair of boots, a colorful watch, or a fun headwrap.
By switching around these pieces within a few basic combinations, I had a seemingly endless number of outfits to pull from, even when working within a capsule wardrobe.
Stay tuned for my updated office style uniforms!
This post originally appeared on College Fashion.