I cannot believe it’s September already. The excitement of a new season along with everybody else gearing up to go back to school made this month’s goal setting so easy. After a crazy, fun-filled summer, I’m ready to get back to my “normal” routine the rest of the year.
My Goal-Setting Process
Over the past few months, I’ve found my goal-setting triple threat in my PowerSheets, Day Designer, and weekly calls with my accountability partner and business bestie. All three help me take big, scary goals and break them down further and further until they become attainable through small steps on a daily basis.
At the beginning of the year, I worked my way through Lara Casey’s goal setting series as well as the introduction pages of my PowerSheets. Once I have all my goals for the year down on paper, I use the monthly planning pages to break down them into monthly, weekly and daily intentions, along with a quarterly refresh and reassessment. I’m a little bit off, so my three-month refresh happened between August and September, which felt perfect to me. Then, Callie and I have weekly check-ins where we share the top three things we’re hoping to make happen that week. These are usually based on my “tending list” for the month but can change because — let’s be real — life happens. From there, I use my Day Designer to plan out where I can fit things in throughout the week and keep track of my daily to-do list.
I’m a major procrastinator, even on things that I love, so this system is really helping me keep my priorities top of mind and working in the right direction.
Right now, I’m content with the idea that I’m making slow but steady progress towards my goals each month. “Progress, not perfection” is absolutely one of my favorite mantras and something I’m constantly reminding myself of.
I’m feeling excited about the month ahead, but not placing too high of expectations on it. While I certainly did not get as much done this summer as I had hoped to, I’m not beating myself up over it. I know this fall will bring a bit more of a routine, not to mention the wonderful feeling of a fresh start that comes with a new season.
Here’s what I’m working towards this month:
- Stick to my monthly budget and work towards paying off my car loan. I want to have my car paid off by the end of October, a year from when I bought it, and I’m now in the home stretch!
- Host a closet sale on Instagram. I’ve gone through my clothes to pair down to just my capsule wardrobes and eliminate things that no longer fit this stage of my life. However, I’m getting rid of a lot of pieces I truly love and therefore want to make sure they go to a good home!
- Publish at least one blog post per week. This was a goal in August that did not happen so I’m trying it again. This month, I’m taking part in the Blog-tember challenge which should ensure I meet (and exceed) this goal.
- Participate in at least one Twitter chat each week. This is one part of my weekly routine that fell by the wayside over the summer. I love connecting with other creatives in my favorite Twitter chats — #CreativeCoffeeHour and #CreateLounge — and can’t wait to get back to that.
- One new goal I’m adding to my list this month is working my way through all the various educational materials I’ve accumulated. I have stacks of books as well as a few e-books and courses that I’d like to complete before the year is up. Plus, there’s something about the back-to-school season that makes me want to learn new things too.
In addition, I’m working on lots of things are staying behind-the-scenes for now, including new products hitting the shop soon. I’ve been doing lots of dreaming and scheming lately, and I can’t wait to show you what I’ve been working on!